Microwaves are there to ease our life and make cooking quicker. But there is a question though: Are we using them properly?
The Secrets of the “Metal Box”
Before we get into the hacks and tips, let me clarify what we are dealing with. I am talking about your best roommate, your helper in need – your microwave! Also, we need to address the following couple of concerns most of the people have:
- Does the microwave do any harm to my health?
- Does the microwave destroy the nutrients in my food?
- Does the use of plastic containers in the microwave dangerous?
Modern microwaves are as harmful to your health as listening to your radio. It’s impossible to make your food radioactive while microwaving it. In fact, in some ways, microwaves are a healthier cooking tool than some others are. For example, the best way to preserve Vitamin C in your food is to cook it fast, which is the case when using the microwave. In general, heat breaks down some nutrients in our food, weather we cooked it in a microwave or with a regular oven.
Furthermore, some studies shows that using plastic containers in the microwave does release some chemicals such as Bisphenol A (BPA), Phthalates but not in an amount that would harm our body. However, let’s play it safe and just use ceramic or glass utensils!
Okay, we’ve let these couple of myths behind us. So, let’s dive into some of useful tips and hacks…
TIPS: How to Optimize Your Food
- To get more juice from your lemon microwave it for 1 min before squeezing it.
- When heating water in the microwave, bubbles don’t form that’s why it becomes superheated. Put some object (not metal) in your glass to prevent that.
- When boiling eggs in the microwave, many vapors form inside the egg and make it burst.
- Make a small hole in the top of the egg to prevent that.
- When peeling garlic cloves, cut the head and microwave it for 10 sec. It will make the pealing easier.
- To enjoy coffee cream, pour some milk in a cup whisk it and microwave it for 1 min.
- To turn your tortilla into taco shape, put it in a glass microwave it for 30 sec.
- To refresh your old bread, put it in a wet kitchen towel and microwave it for 1 min.
- You can have your own dried basil in no time! Cut it small and microwave it for 1 min.
- AND for cleaning your microwave, put some lemon peel in bowl of water, microwave it for 5 min and then wipe everything clean.
Microwave Treasures: My Favorite Recipes
Now let’s get serious, after doing some research and using my microwave for 4 years, I find these recipes the quickest AND most delicious:
Mac & Cheese
- mix 1/2 of water and 1/2 of macaroni in a cup
mic. it for 5-6 min
- take it out (becarful the cub is hot)
- add a splash of milk, pinch of salt & the amount chees your like (meat on wish)
mic. It for 30sec & buon appetito
- crack 2 eggs in a mug and whisk them
- Add some chopped veggies, meat & pinch of salt
mic. It for 2-3 min then Enjoy
Baked Potato (my Favorite)
- Pierce 1 potato with a fork
- Rub it with oil and salt
mic. it for 7-9min
- Split it in half and smash it with fork (like pic 2) top it with cheese
mic. it for another 30sec & Gutne Hunger
- mix 1/2 cup of rice & 1/2 cup of water in a bowl
- Splash of oil, salt & pepper cover it with a plate
mic. it for 8min
- Add some frozen veggies
mic. it again for 1-2 min & Bon appetit
Steamed Broccoli (best example for a healthy microwave cooking)
- Bowl of broccoli 1/4 cup of water
- mix it with some olive oil and pinch of salt
- cover it with a plate
mic. it for 4 min & healthy appetite
Some Snacks Hacks
- Put a smany tortilla chips as you like in a bowl
- Add veggies, meat & cheese
mic. for 1-2min & Enjoy
- In a small paper bag 1xcup popcorn corn seeds
- throw in 1x TS butter
- Add salt & spices
- Close the bag then mic. it for 5min & dig in
For The Sweet Tooth
- mix all the ingredients in one mug
- whisk it good together
mic. it for 2-3min, add some cream or better ice cream & have lovely meal
Chocolate Lava Cake
- 1x cupcake (any you like)
- hollow it by digging a hole in the middle (leave the top for later)
- Fill the hole with chocolate
- Cover the hole with the top
mic. it for 30 sec
- Serve it with some ice cream and some berries & Enjoy
The application of microwave doesn’t end here. The internet is filled with recipes and tips!
Wether we are in hurry or just lazy, the microwave is there for that. Additional advantage also, there will be not much dished afterward to wash.
For detailed information on microwave and how could effect our health here is a couple of articles:
Live long and prosper ✌
All pictures were made by our FIZZIE Shadi Mahayni.